Re: Firewall On Slink

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, David Warnock wrote:

> Chad,
>
> Thanks for the tips, I promise I will use dpkg more, I have looked at
> apt-find but currently it's purely alphabetical listing is less useful
> than the sections in dselect. Also I like the two pane approach of
> dselect.

True.  Dselect is a good browser, but I find using it simply overkill.
It always tries to install packages that you didn't explicitly select,
so you have to go through a clean-up process to "unselect" those you
don't want.  I'm sure if I explored this a bit more, I'd find that I
could delete the dselect config/cache file to make it start fresh.
All-in-all, dselect is a good GUI front-end for those points you
stated, but I still wouldn't install packages from it.

You know what?  That's the nice thing about Linux and Debian.  You
have so many different ways to solve a problem that no one person has
to, or probably ever will, do it the same. :)_

Good luck! :)

^chewie

http://nerp.net/~chewie  <<--- Check it out!  I'm selling my truck!