Re: CAll for standard bastion smtp: ssmtp

Hello,

> > Another Solution can be "serialmail" from DJB (qmail). It can be used to make
> > mail-queues and flush them to an external host. Then we only need a sendmail
> > emulation (like ssmtp provides).
>
> Many are strongly for but I've seen a few against.

Serialmail is not qmail. Serialmail is a Program which can read a spooldir
with files and send them to a Relay Host. (Its very compareable to ssmtp,
but it gets its Data from a spool-directory, not from the command-line pipe.

> What do you mean by Mail Proxy?  Where can I read up on Optuse SMTPD?

Software which Reads Mail on one side, Filters it, and hands it to the other
side.

You can read about it on optuse's www site: http://www.optuse.com/
Generally all mentioned Tools will be found on the Freefire-l Project PAge
(http://www.inka.de/sites/lina/freefire-l).

> > secure solutions. But on the Other hand, the Comm-server Issue is outside
> > the scope of the basic work we have to do here, therefore: no religious war
> > on that topic.
>
> Comm-server Issue?

Communication Server. In this Case Mail Server. Because instead of sending
the received mails to a local Mail-Server you can also store them on the
Bastion, for reading VIA POP3. At the first look this is ugly, since you
have to run yet another server system on the bastion host, on the other hand
very small companies dont need to run a second (possible unsafe) server. A
few commercial Firewall Vendors offer this, too. And if you look at simple
POP3 Servers you can get the impression that this approach is more secure
than handing mail to sendmail for further delivery to a MS Exchange Server
(for example).

Another Communication Server Application would be a News Server. Both are
not related to Firewalls very closely, but both can use an hardened OS.

Greetings
Bernd
--
  (OO)      -- Bernd_Eckenfels@Wendelinusstrasse39.76646Bruchsal.de --