Re: CAll for standard bastion smtp: ssmtp

Hello,

> From what I understand the bastion will recieve all mail for the
> network/firewall....then immediately forward the mail to a mail hub
> residing on a host on the internal (protected) network.  This system will
> then distribute the mail to all the internal hosts.
>
> There should be no need to hold and read mail on the bastion or on packet
> filter A or B.

If you just need to pass the mail through, you dont need any software other
than an simple TCP Port forwarder. But this is not the reason the SMTP Proxy
is used. The Software is used to filter the incomming mails. Do SPam
Protection, check for broken headers, Hide Information (for example the VRFY
SMTP command on the destination host can give u info about accounts).

> In light of this dynamic....could not ssmtp handle simply forwarding all
> mail to one system?

No, SSMTP can not RECEIVE mail. And it has no buildin Filter for Headers.
ssmtp is a program which gets invoked on the command-line, gets a mail piped
into it, and will deliver the mail without processing to the next SMTP host.

Greetings
Bernd
--
  (OO)      -- Bernd_Eckenfels@Wendelinusstrasse39.76646Bruchsal.de --