Re: Preparation of Blends tasks

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 09:05:06PM +0200, Jesús M. Navarro wrote:
> >    http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianEnterpriseTeam
>
> I've been having a look at the Debian Pure Blends general documentation.

Great. ;-)
(Hints / patches are always welcome, but I'll be 5 days offline from now on)

> I found that there was an initial effort for Debian Enterprise back in 2003
> that lost air (humm... that's more or less by the same dates when Bruce
> Perens was pushing his UserLinux project.  Are/were those two somehow
> related?).

Perhaps related is too much, but inspired sounds correct.

> If this new push takes moment somebody will need to remember to
> update the pages listing blends*1,2.

Definitely - I just would like to see the outcome of this discussion.
That's why I'm trying to push it a bit:  My goal is some reasonable
status at Squeeze release time to use the attention Debian might get at
this point.  If we might have some reasonable tasks prepared until then
I promise the docs will be up to date then as well.

> Within Debian Enterprise goals *1 I miss trying to offer a common
> framework/best practices so all the other blends can take advantage of it
> when deployed in a corporate/professional environment.  After all, they all
> need, say, authentication/authorization, disaster recovery, file/print
> services, etc. so why not sharing components?
>
> Regarding sharing components, the documentation*3 states that "...People who
> are interested in working on common issues like building metapackages,
> technical issues of menu systems or how to create CDs for Blends could
> subscribe to this list or read the list archive." but this list is marked
> as "dead list"*4: docs should be updated either with the new list, if it
> exists or stating its dead status (alternatively, the list can be came back
> into live if it regains interest).

The list was renamed to debian-blends (because of constantly misuse of
derivatives and private adaptions).  Docs updated accordingly - thanks
for the hint.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--