Re: Preparation of Blends tasks

Hi, Andreas:

On Tuesday 17 August 2010 08:42:15 Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as I proposed in my last mail[1] I created a Wiki page which can be used
> to prepare some Blends tasks.  Please take it a first shot of an
> uneducated person and perhaps non of the few suggestions makes any sense
> but at least it is a start.  I have linked to the page from the general
> Debian Enterprise wiki page which I would like to promote here as well:
>
>    http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianEnterpriseTeam
>
> It contains some other interesting content about an Alioth group etc
> (since a long time but nobody seems to care ...).

It seems to me that most of the effort is pointed towards package selection
and preconfiguration.

While this is, of course, needed I feel that "enterprise" it's more about
policies, governance and orchestration among nodes than "local to the
machine" issues.  I think that the Debian Edu team is making very interesting
things in this regard (see its "architecture" page*1).

Other structural issues and services currently not declared on your wiki pages
may be (with some examples):
 * Identity management and directory services (LDAP)
 * Auth management (Kerberos)
 * File services (NFSv4, CIFS)
 * Print services (CUPS)
 * Network (DNS, DHCP, routing/firewalling)
 * Corporate messaging (e-mail, IM, VoIP integration...)
 * Config management (Puppet?)
 * Automatic deployment (PXE, d-i, FAI...)
 * Global control pannel
 * ...

I think it could be interesting producing documentation in the form of howtos
and best current practices so even if by hand there is some kind
of "functional agreement" that can be achieved, basing helping tools and
configuration decisions upon them.

Is there any effort planned about this?

Cheers

*1 http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/Architecture