Re: get a cross compiler sooner

+++ Wookey [2014-02-04 17:18 +0000]:
> +++ Shawn Landden [2013-11-28 13:14 -0800]:
> > clang is already in the archives and already supports cross-compiling
> >
> > just
> >
> > clang -target arm-linux-gnueabihf foo.c -o foo
> >
> > all it needs to do this is a cross binutils, which, unlike gcc cross,
> > it doesn't have any cross build dependencies. Can we get get
> > a cross binutils uploaded pronto?
>
> Well, not exactly pronto, but I have made a package which built me
> something last night:
>
> https://alioth.debian.org/scm/?group_id=100609 now has a cross-binutils-0.1
> package that makes armel and armhf crossbinutils for amd64 (we can expand
> those once it's working nicely)

This is now updated to produce binutils-<triplet> packages targetting
armel, armhf, arm64, powerpc, mips mipsel, i386, amd64
on
amd64 and i386

Do people think we should be building those on more architectures or for more architectures?

I set it up so the package can easily be built with overrides:
TARGET_LIST="armel armhf" HOST_LIST="s390" debian/rules control
dpkg-buildpackage

> Tests last night seem to show that this doesn't work unless
> WITH_SYSROOT=/ is added to the build because gcc calls ld --sysroot
>
> This seems odd to me, but we can go with that if it's right. Does llvm also do this or not?

Nobody replied on this yet. I'll ask on debian-toolchain.

> And someone with better make foo than me could make a generic rule for
> the various arch targets rather than lots of copies (OK for 2, annoying for 9)

OK. I worked this out. It's quite pleasing now.

The packages (for amd64) are available from http://wookware.org/software/repo/ in unstable
i.e.
deb http://wookware.org/software/repo/ wheezy main
deb-src http://wookware.org/software/repo/ wheezy main

Feedback welcome. Assuming these work I'd like to put this in NEW soon.

http://wookware.org/