Re: Status of Emdebian Grip

On 5/02/2014 8:36 PM, Neil Williams wrote:

It is the amount of time I'm spending using current ARMv7 boards for
work which is making Grip maintenance difficult. Grip needs developer
time and I have better uses for that time when faced with a declining
requirement.

I can certainly relate to that, Neil. Time is my number one resource constraint also.

BeagleXM is getting to be a very old bit of kit. Have you looked into
the beaglebone (black or white)?

I'm just the hired help (software integrator), so I don't have much of a say in the hardware. But if I were to put words in my Boss' mouth, I'd say that (a) new tech and high capacity RAM/flash costs too much, and (b) there are significant R&D lead times. We are truly designing our own boards, and our programmers have been working hard to develop proprietary software to squeeze every last drop of performance out of the OMAP 3630's DSP; we're not just selling re-branded Debian and off-the-shelf devkits here.

The Beagleboard-based product is our established product line, we're already looking at TI's DM8148 for the next generation.

MiB of NAND flash in which to fit U-Boot, kernel, main userspace and
recovery userspace (yes, I know what you are going to say - this is a
"design flaw" that we brought on ourselves).
It's a reliance on older hardware which may have a simpler fix.

No, mainly it's cost cutting. The Beagleboard xM doesn't even have NAND flash.

The reason that thin client OEMs go out of business is the price of their units. When large corporations have heavily discounted purchasing agreements with HP/Dell/whomever to bulk buy powerful modern PCs for the same or less than a far less capable thin client, then there's really no incentive for them to go thin. So rather than selling works of art for >$500, we're aiming to sell little black boxes for <$150.

I realise that BeagleBone already falls in the <$150 category, the above is just by way of motivational explanation for our aggressive cost-cutting, with reference to "traditional" thin clients.

Emdebian Grip 3.1 isn't going away any time soon - the question here is about unstable and testing migrations for Jessie. It looks, at the moment, as if Emdebian Grip 4.0 Jessie is not going to happen. Given that you have a relatively smooth way out to the upgraded version of your current board from the same supplier, how important would point releases of Emdebian Grip 3.x actually be?

For me, 3.x point releases are really only important to ensure currency of data (e.g. timezone files, wireless regulatory DB, CA certificates, etc), not software. Security vulnerabilities are a concern also, of course, but as this is generally not a customer-visible issue this is a mostly a risk we just accept rather than spend time mitigating. Appalling, I know, but that's the nature of competitive business!

Jessie-Grip, on the other hand, will be important for us. Thin client distros (and having maintained my own one of these as an open source hobby since 2002 (DietPC, http://dietpc.org - too lightweight for ThinLinX purposes), I am speaking from experience here) are particularly sensitive to currency of [e]glibc and Xorg, and of course kernel version currency is always a background issue for everybody.

Wheezy-Grip is okay (barely) for our current product. The official version of eglibc in Wheezy (2.13) is already too old for us, since Citrix has (to my annoyance) released Receiver for ARMHF with a higher glibc requirement; I had to substitute eglibc 2.17 from Sid. At the moment we're using proprietary TI and in-house code to compensate for the lack of open source support for certain OMAP features in the 3.0 kernel we're forced to use, but for future products we could avoid some wheel reinvention by leveraging improvements in more recent kernel and Xorg releases, such as open sourced OMAP KMS DRM, PowerVR SGX 3D, and DSP bridge drivers.