Re: foreign rootfs without root priviliges with multistrap, fakeroot, fakechroot and qemu user emulation

Am 23.06.2011 10:53, schrieb Johannes Schauer:
I sincerely hope that my opinion (that I prefer simplicity over many
features) is not based on some stupid NIH syndrome of mine (i'm with you
in not liking to invent things twice) but what you do is really so much
more than what I consider sane (compiling your own kernel, setting up
qemu for testing, creating local debian repository, ...). Is there a
point of discussing why you see that such a script should do those
things? You probably have your reasons, no? But maybe it's also me who's
weird because there for example exists a script called "install.sh" for
debian on the openmoko gta01/freerunner which I dont like for similar
reasons because this script also incorporates mechanisms to partition
and format my SD card or configures uboot - and you could also get me
started for ubuntu's rootstock script.
I guess you would have find the same pitfalls like I did, if you continued to build for other targets and serve more features with your skript. I found (some of) them already...

Hopefully nobody felt offended - how would other people on this list
tackle the problem?
No offense taken. I accept your design goal to keep things simple. Anyway, another user and voluntary tester would have been nice...

@Hector - my Makefile set serves a similar goal and is already (more or less ;-) ) generic. Do you think it might be helpful for someone else, too?