Re: foreign rootfs without root priviliges with multistrap, fakeroot, fakechroot and qemu user emulation

Hi,

> > they are all very similar as i didnt want to give up the simplicity
> > of having only one script for each target for a more general
> > solution yet. they are similar enough so that a diff will nicely
> > show the special properties of each of them compared to the others.
> This scripts look quite helpful. I wonder if it would be worth it to
> unify them and make them more generic to be a .deb package in itself.
When reading this bit I was pressing the reply key to write down that
this would add just too much complexity for my taste. But while I was
thinking about how to phrase my lines I had some ideas on how to unify
those scripts without (in my taste) sacrificing simplicity too much. It
is just that I am very scared by scripts like rootstock from ubuntu
which is thousands of lines long and does so much stuff I never need.

To see what I came up with, check out this git repository:

git clone http://git.mister-muffin.de/polystrap.git

(hopefully nobody is offended by the name choice? i dont care changing
it - i'm just bad at choosing names)

Hopefully everything of importance is explained properly enough in the
README. Basically this is just a wrapper for multistrap, a static
rootdir skeleton and some hook scripts that are being sourced. Without
comments the wrapper script is less than 120 lines long.

> In the package selection side, Jonas started a proof of concept at
> emdebian git repository:
> <http://git.emdebian.org/?p=upstream/boxer.git;a=blob;f=README> Maybe
> that can inspire you to manage per board customizations. `boxer`
> enables and disables packages a la a2enmod (from apache2 utilities).
I was inspired by that and my script allows a similar mechanism. But the
usage of it is just optional and one can always default to specifying
packages in the multistrap.conf (which is more simple in my taste) or by
commandline argument.

> > multistrap usage is restricted to the very basic options and doesnt
> > make use of hooks or setupscripts.
> The original idea was to create a .deb package which does all your
> board customizations, so one creates a local debian repository and
> adds the package to the packages field in the config file.
This is indeed a sleek idea that I like very much. It is just that I
think that this idea would only make real sense if multistrap would be
all that one would need to do what I do. But since Neill Williams stated
that multistrap is not supposed to do what I do, I think it is more
simple to just have a directory of static files and some hooks instead
of putting those two parts into a deb. I mean, the advantage of having
the board customization (some static files and hooks) as a deb would be
that a multistrap call is enough to do everything. Since a wrapper
script is needed anyways for my purposes, some files and directories are
more simple than creating a deb of them (would be much more effort in
creation and maintenance).

> > maybe those are useful for someone.
> If the code gets unified and it is possible to easily customize lists
> of packages at least it'll be useful for you and me.
The code was unified and there is a way to easily customize lists of
packages :)

Suggestions very welcome!

cheers, josch