Re: emdebian-tools in Squeeze

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 11:15:09 +0200
Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org> wrote:

> > This only works with a small number of packages, as per my email about
> > the experiments with Crush.
>
> Would it make sense to specify that Crush autobuilders set DEB_VENDOR to
> "emdebian"?

Already set as "emdebian-crush" -
see /etc/emvendor.d/emdebian-crush.conf

However, this is used AFTER the build to specify the options to emgrip.

Besides, there will be only one Crush autobuilder. I'll build them on
this box.

> Currently, that doesn't make much difference with existing
> packages, but we'd be able to merge changes back into Debian by letting
> them look at DEB_VENDOR.

The level of changes is too large. I've test built the first four
packages and there are some issues:

1. The temptation to remove EVERYTHING that Crush cannot support is
overwhelming. No point building stuff that emgrip is going to throw
away. This also makes the builds faster which is very important during
testing and experimentation. e.g. dpkg only needs to change coreutils
to busybox but there's little point leaving the dpkg-dev build and that
means removing the perl build deps . . . it also means keeping the
experimental packages closer to what we knew worked as Crush 1.0.

1a: I'm going to try and reign that in, later, maybe.

2. The same problems recur with Crush 1.0 - we have to remove or avoid
stuff that simply won't cross-build, like python. As there are so few
packages involved, that isn't too bad.

3. Changing the source package name causes huge numbers of changes that
are simply incompatible with the normal packaging - renaming all
the .install files, the package name needs to be changed in the
debian/changelog, there need to be adjusted Provides: Replaces:
Conflicts: in debian/control, symlinking the .orig.tar.gz...

4. I haven't decided yet how to implement the replacement for
debian/xcontrol. I'm thinking of something based on multistrap code to
simply download a hard-coded list of build-depends and pass those to
dpkg-cross. i.e. not using apt-cross at all.

> Apt already handles (by ignoring) multiarch qualified builddeps, not
> only dpkg and dak are missing as the major roadblocks to getting cross
> builddep information into the archive -- however that is only useful for
> squeeze+1.

I don't see how that helps.

Are you thinking too far ahead to a time when Crush will be more than a
sideline and experiment - a time when Crush can be based on a fully
working multiarch base? (i.e. Crush 3.0 or possibly 4.0, not the
current experiments.)