Re: Basic Step using Emdebian in ARM TS-7800

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 16:21:35 +0200
Aleksandr Lavrushchenko <kpykcb@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/26/2010 06:50 AM, Abdul Rahman Riza wrote:
> > Hi Aleksandr,
> >
> > You are correct, i built opencv in my desktop using debian repos by
> > invoking # apt-get source opencv
> > Before build opencv by invoking # dpkg-buidpackage -us -uc -rfakeroot, I
> > must install all dependency package.
> I think this will work on both systems (debian and emdebian)

> But i mean that opencv is already available as binary package for armel
> in debian, so you dont need build it by yourself if you have not any
> special requirements.

For Emdebian Grip, you only need to 'process' the package that is
available from Debian to reduce the overall size (remove docs etc.)
Packages without strict dependencies will work fine straight from
Debian, albeit more bloated than the equivalent Grip package.

Strict dependencies: (= 1.2.3-1)
Usual dependencies: (>= 1.2.3-1)

A Debian package which does not exist in Grip but which has an ordinary
dependency on package foo (>= 1.2.3-1) will be installable on a Grip
machine with foo 1.2.3-1em1 installed.

Strict dependencies are usually library and debug related or between
binary packages built from the same source package.

A Debian package with a strict dependency on foo (= 1.2.3-1) will need
to be processed by emgrip/apt-grip to turn that strict dependency into
foo (= 1.2.3-1em1).

> > Since this is my very first time working with SBC board I would like to
> > know if embedian has the same repos as debian? I meant are all
> > dependency package to build opencv also avaliable in emdebian?
>
> Emdebian(Grip) repos as far as i know are compatible with Debian(lenny)
> repos.
> Except if you install some package  that not available in emdebian, then
> by dependencies some|many emdebian packages will be replaced with debian
> ones.

Other way around. Emdebian packages are always newer than the Debian
ones due to the em1 version suffix. Therefore, if a package exists in
both Emdebian Grip and Debian, the Grip package will be installed as an
update of the Debian one - resulting in apt telling you it will
download X kb and free x kb instead of using more space. ;-)

(Only Crush uses numbers other than one in the suffix, em2, em3 etc.)

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/