Re: i486-linux-gemode or -march=geode compiler support.

Neil Williams wrote:

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 12:46:00 -0500
Richard Smith <smithbone@gmail.com> wrote:

(No need to CC: me please.)

Sorry.  Reply to all habit.

You may be, in effect, porting (parts of) Debian to a whole new
architecture, as was the case with armel. As Riku, it's a lot of work.

Whichever way you cut it, it has nothing to do with emchain. emchain
can do nothing for you until dpkg-architecture and dpkg-cross support
whatever is decided is to be the "new architecture", at which point
emchain would (try) to work as normal and certainly would not be
passing the -march or processing it directly.

Ah. Thank you for the clarification. I see now. I think an entire new arch is the best way forward. Then a lot of other stuff is going to "Just Work" right?

Lots of work but not too much different than if I were to build the toolchain + packages manually. Hopefully the extra effort to do it the Right Way will pay off later.

I'll go figure out how to setup dpkg-architecture and dpkg-cross for a new arch.

--
Richard A. Smith
smithbone@gmail.com