Emdebian Crush on Sparc32

Dear all,

Following some very interesting conversations I had with the
Emdebian developers during the FOSDEM 2009 meeting, I would like to give
a shot at using Crush on a Sparc 32-bit architecture.

I've already been informed that the Sparc port is currently disabled and
will probably fail to build, but I'm willing to give it a try and see
if I can identify any problems.

I started today with downloading the tools on a Debian Lenny i386 host
pc.

Running emsetup -s -v produces the following messages:
Checking apt cache data is up to date ...
Checking unstable on sparc using apt sources
Updating apt-cache for sparc
Dry run only.
Cannot find a native gcc for sparc.
Trying to locate latest version of gcc for i386.
Unable to find a suitable toolchain to build 'sparc' targets on 'i386'.
Please consider using emchain to build your own toolchain.
If you do not wish to use the emdebian toolchain repository or if a
toolchain for your chosen target architecture is not yet available for
your host architecture, please consider using emchain (part of
emdebian-tools) to build a cross-building toolchain that fits your
needs.
Packages required for 'sparc' on 'i386':
binutils-sparc-linux-gnu gcc-4.3-sparc-linux-gnu-base
gcc-4.3-sparc-linux-gnu cpp-4.3-sparc-linux-gnu g++-4.3-sparc-linux-gnu
libc6-i386-cross libc6-dev-i386-cross libstdc++6-i386-cross
libstdc++6-4.3-dev-i386-cross libstdc++6-4.3-pic-i386-cross
libgcc1-i386-cross linux-libc-dev-i386-cross
Once a suitable toolchain can be installed, setup will be complete.
Use 'emsetup --report' to check just the toolchain.

Oh well, that was expected.
Running emchain -v to build my own toolchain produces the following
messages:
Building toolchain in '/home/dimitris/work/other/emdebian'
Options used:
verbose=2
not logging output.
Checking apt-cross unstable cache for sparc.
Checking unstable on sparc using apt sources
Updating apt-cache for sparc
Warning: emchain cannot find a native gcc package for sparc.
emchain will try to build a toolchain from scratch using cache values
for i386. Refreshing apt-cross unstable cache for i386.
emchain: Error. Mismatch in source versions
sparc does not appear to have built version 2.18.1~cvs20080103-7 of
binutils successfully yet. Therefore it is unlikely that emchain will be
able to build a usable cross-compiler using the current upstream source
of binutils. Only version 2.18.1~cvs20080103-1 is available on sparc and
emchain is unable to proceed.
Please run emchain again when the sparc port has updated.

So I decided to try and ignore the error with the -f flag. Here's what
I get in this case:
Building toolchain in '/home/dimitris/work/other/emdebian'
Options used:
verbose=2
forcing=YES
not logging output.
Checking apt-cross unstable cache for sparc.
Checking unstable on sparc using apt sources
Updating apt-cache for sparc
Warning: emchain cannot find a native gcc package for sparc.
emchain will try to build a toolchain from scratch using cache values
for i386. Refreshing apt-cross unstable cache for i386.

emchain: Error. Mismatch in source versions
sparc does not appear to have built version 2.18.1~cvs20080103-7 of
binutils successfully yet. Therefore it is unlikely that emchain will be
able to build a usable cross-compiler using the current upstream source
of binutils. Only version 2.18.1~cvs20080103-1 is available on sparc and
emchain is unable to proceed.
Please run emchain again when the sparc port has updated.

Force enabled, trying to continue ...
Forced packages will not be installed by emchain.

emchain: Error. Mismatch in source versions
sparc does not appear to have built version 2.7-18 of libc6 successfully
yet. Therefore it is unlikely that emchain will be able to build a
usable cross-compiler using the current upstream source of libc6. Only
version 2.7-6 is available on sparc and emchain is unable to proceed.
Please run emchain again when the sparc port has updated.

Force enabled, trying to continue ...
Forced packages will not be installed by emchain.

emchain: Error. Mismatch in source versions
sparc does not appear to have built version 4.3.2-1.1 of gcc-4.3
successfully yet. Therefore it is unlikely that emchain will be able to
build a usable cross-compiler using the current upstream source of
gcc-4.3. Only version 4.3-20080202-1 is available on sparc and emchain
is unable to proceed.
Please run emchain again when the sparc port has updated.

Force enabled, trying to continue ...
Forced packages will not be installed by emchain.
Using :
gcc-4.3 (4.3.3-3) in gcc-4.3-4.3.3/
binutils 2.19.0.20090110-1~exp1 in binutils-2.19.0.20090110/
libc6 v2.9-0exp2
Running apt-get source . . .
apt-get source gcc-4.3=4.3-20080202-1 binutils=2.19.0.20090110-1~exp1
glibc=2.9-0exp2 Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to find a source package for gcc-4.3

Now, this is a bit odd, isn't it? Apt-get source tries to download
a version of gcc-4.3 that doesn't exist anymore, and it is not the
version that is available for Sparc.

Any ideas on how I could proceed beyond this point would be very
welcome :)

And one last thing. I keep on getting this annoying warning using the
emdebian tools:

Could not open
file /home/dimitris/.apt-cross/unstable/lists/security.debian.org_dists_unstable_main_source_Sources
- open (2 No such file or directory)

Why on earth would it be looking for security updates on unstable? I
certainly don't have any such lines in my sources.list, nor does
emdebian in the emdebian.sources.list

Best regards,
Dimitris