Re: Compiler and glibc options to emchain

On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 13:52:47 -0500
Richard Smith <smithbone@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to create a optimized emdebian build (modified Grip probably)
> for the AMD Geode.

Grip doesn't cross-build or recompile anything so there are no
optimisations available that would require changing any of the binary
files within Grip.

Only Crush provides any opportunity to recompile any source code.

> Its not clear to me yet from reading the docs if I can feed
> configuration options to emchain.

Any options related to variants of the existing architectures need to
be made such that normal Debian tools will accept the new architecture.
I'm not entirely sure what you are requesting but it would appear that
you need dpkg-architecture to be able to support the modified values.
That can be done via dpkg-cross support but you haven't provided enough
information to work out what you require or how to begin that process.

> Its i386 but I'll need to set
> -march=geode and I'll need to play with various options for glibc.

? -march ? What options to glibc?

> Do I do this via emchain or will I have to patch the package rules?

emchain relies on the architecture support of dpkg-architecture and
dpkg-cross.