Re: Emdebian Crush on Sparc32

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 11:53:16 +0200
Dimitris Lampridis <dlampridis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Following some very interesting conversations I had with the
> Emdebian developers during the FOSDEM 2009 meeting, I would like to give
> a shot at using Crush on a Sparc 32-bit architecture.

(Most of those discussions happened through a haze of Belgian beer and
in a very noisy, cold, side street - so apologies if some of the finer
points got missed!)

> I've already been informed that the Sparc port is currently disabled

The building of toolchains for Sparc in Emdebian is currently stalled,
yes, but Hector is the person to ask about whether such things actually
build at all.

> and
> will probably fail to build, but I'm willing to give it a try and see
> if I can identify any problems.

Thanks.

> I started today with downloading the tools on a Debian Lenny i386 host
> pc.

Hmm, that could mean you revisit old bugs. During the release freeze,
newer versions cannot migrate into Lenny so you may be better advised
upgrading that machine to unstable, at least for now.

> Running emsetup -s -v produces the following messages:

I'm guessing this is emsetup (1.4.3) when the current version in
Emdebian is 1.4.15 and 1.4.16 is due to be released fairly soon.

> Checking apt cache data is up to date ...
> Checking unstable on sparc using apt sources
> Updating apt-cache for sparc

There should have been output here - from apt downloading new data.

> Dry run only.
> Cannot find a native gcc for sparc.

Hmm. That's a cache failure via apt-cross. Try:
$ apt-cross -a sparc -v -u
to force an update of your apt-cross cache data.

(I suspect this is an old bug fixed after 1.4.3 migrated into Lenny.)

> Trying to locate latest version of gcc for i386.
> Unable to find a suitable toolchain to build 'sparc' targets on 'i386'.

That much is true.

There appears to be a toolchain based on 4.2:

http://www.emdebian.org/toolchains/search.php?package=gcc-4.2-sparc-linux-gnu&arch=&distro=unstable

$ sudo apt-get install gcc-4.2-sparc-linux-gnu gcc-4.3-sparc-linux-gnu

ii  binutils-sparc-linux-gnu          2.18.1~cvs20080103-7
ii  cpp-4.2-sparc-linux-gnu           4.2.4-4
ii  g++-4.2-sparc-linux-gnu           4.2.4-4
ii  gcc-4.2-sparc-linux-gnu           4.2.4-4
ii  gcc-4.2-sparc-linux-gnu-base      4.2.4-4
ii  gcc-4.3-base-sparc-cross          4.3.2-1
ii  libc6-dev-sparc-cross             2.7-15
ii  libc6-sparc-cross                 2.7-15
ii  libgcc1-sparc-cross               1:4.3.2-1
ii  libstdc++6-4.2-dev-sparc-cross    4.2.4-4
ii  libstdc++6-sparc-cross            4.2.4-4

There is an oddity there - v4.3 of gcc-foo-base but that is an artefact
of other problems and doesn't affect the compiler itself.

(Note: I'm testing amd64 here, hopefully you won't have any problems
doing this on i386. If you do, please say.)

Hmm, something else to update in the emsetup manpage.....
(A few fixes are still needed in emsetup too.)

> Running emchain -v to build my own toolchain produces the following
> messages:
> Building toolchain in '/home/dimitris/work/other/emdebian'
> Options used:
> verbose=2
> not logging output.
> Checking apt-cross unstable cache for sparc.
> Checking unstable on sparc using apt sources
> Updating apt-cache for sparc
> Warning: emchain cannot find a native gcc package for sparc.

Again, something wrong with the cache data not being accurate. I've
tested with emchain -a sparc on amd64 and the packages are located and
downloaded correctly. I think this is an old bug still present in 1.4.3
but fixed in a release prior to 1.4.15.

> Now, this is a bit odd, isn't it?

It is, but I'm fairly confident that it is a problem already fixed in
versions of emdebian-tools since the version in Lenny. See:
http://www.emdebian.org/emdebian/tools.html#updates

> Any ideas on how I could proceed beyond this point would be very
> welcome :)

Once you've got a more updated version of emdebian-tools, your choices
will be:
1. Use a 4.2 toolchain
2. retry building a 4.3 toolchain

> And one last thing. I keep on getting this annoying warning using the
> emdebian tools:
>
> Could not open
> file /home/dimitris/.apt-cross/unstable/lists/security.debian.org_dists_unstable_main_source_Sources
> - open (2 No such file or directory)
>
> Why on earth would it be looking for security updates on unstable?

Because it is in your main /etc/apt/sources.list but that isn't the
reason for the message - it's a bug (one of many) in the apt-perl
bindings that I simply can't get apt to ignore.

> certainly don't have any such lines in my sources.list, nor does
> emdebian in the emdebian.sources.list

In your main /etc/apt/sources.list or in any files
in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ ?

Try 'apt-cache policy' to see a collated list of sources.