Re: failure installing emdebian grip powerpc on ibook

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 09:10:34 +1100
Brendan Simon <Brendan@BrendanSimon.com> wrote:

> Another issue for powerpc is that yaboot does not seem to be in the grip
> repository.  Yaboot is a bootloader for "newworld powermacs" - all
> powerpc macs that use openfirmware.

I have a powerpc mac, I know about yaboot.

> This does not apply for intel based
> macs which can use grub-efi.  powerpc macs can not use grub.

You have read the new section on the homepage about how Emdebian can
only indirectly support low resource machines like powerpc macs?
Emdebian Grip, in particular, is *binary compatible* with Debian and
therefore every package has precisely the same memory footprint and CPU
requirements as the same package in standard Debian. Using Emdebian Grip
does *not* give you any performance advantages within the packages
themselves - it is roughly equivalent to installing exactly the same
packages from standard Debian on your machine and putting /usr/share on
an external USB stick.

I have a powerpc (iBook G4) that still runs Lenny - I would not dream
of using Emdebian on it, there will be no advantages. True, that one
still runs a full GNOME environment but if I changed that to XFCE,
there would be no gains over an Emdebian Grip installation of XFCE.

Powerpc macs like the iBook had reasonable hard drives and support
expansion fairly easily - they are not usually described as embedded.

> Is emdebian going to worry about boot-loaders ???
>     grub, yaboot, uboot, etc ???

grub already exists:
http://www.emdebian.org/grip/search.php?arch=i386&package=grub

(When searching, ensure you select the appropriate architecture if a
package only exists on certain architectures - the default is ARM which
doesn't use bootloaders at all.)

See: http://lists.debian.org/debian-embedded/2008/12/msg00023.html

================

If you want more packages added, set up a Debian machine or chroot with
all the packages you need (and only the ones you need) and send the
complete output of 'dpkg --get-selections' to this list.

Alternatively, file RFP bugs against buildd.emdebian.org at wishlist
severity.

To see the current list of packages, use the search support:
http://www.emdebian.org/grip/search.php

=====================

Emdebian Grip is a filtered repository - packages have to be added
explicitly, then their dependencies. This has a huge bonus at runtime
because the dpkg and apt database is far, far smaller than any Debian
system (about 100 times smaller currently).

I've added yaboot though.

em_autogrip: INF: adding source package to locale using reprepro
Exporting indices...
em_autogrip: INF: adding powerpc packages to grip using reprepro
Exporting indices...

> I either have to install yaboot manually, or specify a debian repository
> with a lower priority than emdebian.  Can that be done if using the same
> disto (eg. unstable ?).

Yes.

> Maybe I will specify testing for the debian
> repo and unstable for the emdebian repo.

Later on, I'll get the emdebian-grip package uploaded to the Emdebian
Grip repository so that you can download and grip any package you like.
Indeed, I'm thinking of splitting emdebian-grip out of the
emdebian-tools source package to make this easier.

To do that, I need to make some more improvements in the emdebian-grip
package, hence the testing.

> Of course, as you mention, doing a proper debian install first, then
> dist-upgrade to emdebian is the other way.  It's an probably easier
> process, but conceptually would be good to avoid :)

One step at a time.