Re: failure installing emdebian grip powerpc on ibook

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 22:46:44 +1100
Brendan Simon <Brendan@BrendanSimon.com> wrote:

> Within the chroot i used dpkg to install grip-config and apt (along with
> all the dependencies).  This seem to go without a hitch.  dpkg -l gives
> a list of packages all with -em1 :)  However, trying to install the base
> system from the installer still fails because of the signatures.  Guess
> that's because it is not using the chroot (/target).

OK, thanks for testing that - it's very useful. I'll ask debian-boot
about the archive keyring.

I'd rather not have to create a preseed setup just for the archive
key, it'd be so much easier if we could use d-i unchanged.

> I skipped the Install Base System in the installer and seleted Confiugre
> Package Manager.  It tried to install the base system first, but
> pressing escape seemed to skip that . /target/etc/apt/sources.list is
> now updated with the emdebian statements.  Installer now seems to be
> stuck on the screen "Select and install software".  Been stuck on
> "Please wait ..." for 10 minutes now :(

I wonder if it is looking for a package that doesn't exist in Grip? (I
also wonder how you can find out which package may be the one.)

> > But there is /usr/share/debootstrap/scripts/ directory with contents:
> > etch    etch-m68k    gutsy    hardy    intrepid    lenny    sid

You can use the codename sid with Emdebian Grip, that should solve that
problem.

Steps.
  * select "http" (#)
  * select "enter information manually".
  * specify "buildd.emdebian.org"
  * specify "/grip"
  * specify "sid"

> > Now lost on how to get the emdebian keys into the installer.  I don't
> > have gpg (only gpgv).  There is no apt-key or apt-secure.  Only
> > apt-install, apt-setup and apt-setup-verify

Hmm, I'm wondering if the keys have to be inside the d-i image. That
would be a PITA.

> > How do I get emdebian keys into the installer so that installation can
> > continue without errors ?

I'll try and find out.

For now, if you want to get a working system running Emdebian Grip, one
way that does work is to let the installer use a standard Debian
mirror, install Debian as normal and then change your sources to
Emdebian Grip and dist-upgrade. That's what I did with my Acer Aspire1.
Not ideal, I know - I'll try and find out about keys and d-i.