Re: failure on testing emdebian grip

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 17:06:33 +0100
Jelle de Jong <jelledejong@powercraft.nl> wrote:

> I tried some testing today for debian grip.

> I booted up my system with a live usb stick system

My preferred test would have been a debian-installer USB stick, boot
into the normal Debian installer and enter the Grip mirror instead of
one of the listed Debian mirrors.

Debian Live isn't ready for Grip at this time.

> and set my archives to debian sid and emdebian
>
> deb http://buildd.emdebian.org/grip/ unstable main
> deb http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ unstable main

That's a mistake - grip is an entirely self-contained repository and
does not need debian, at least not until after installation when you
might want extra packages not yet available in Grip.

Specifying a debian mirror will cause debootstrap to select packages
that you don't want (like man-db and groff).

> gpg --recv-key 0x6070D3A1
> gpg -a --export 0x6070D3A1 > debian.key
> apt-key add debian.key
> apt-get update
>
> gpg --recv-key 0x97BB3B58
> gpg -a --export 0x97BB3B58 > emdebian.key
> apt-key add emdebian.key
> apt-get update

grip-config does all that for you.

> apt-get install debootstrap
>
> parted /dev/sda
> mklabel msdos
> mkpart primary 0 100%
> toggle 1 boot
> print
> quit
>
> mkfs.ext2 /dev/sda1
>
> sudo mkdir /mnt/debinst
> sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/debinst
>
> debootstrap --arch i386 sid /mnt/debinst/ http://buildd.emdebian.org/grip/

Is that an old version of debootstrap? The normal debootstrap script
obtains all packages with Priority: Required and grip-config is
certainly Priority:Required.

Did it download and verify grip-config?

> and then it fails...
>
> I: Configuring initscrips...
> I: Configuring sysvinit...
> W: Failure while configuring required packages.

To identify the problem, use:
$ sudo chroot /path/
# dpkg --configure -a

That will throw the error. Also, debootstrap normally fails with the
command line it was using and you can use that too.

In this case, grip-config is probably missing and an error occurred
probably in install-info or update-alternatives - both are replaced by
grip-config.

> I think there is a bug, but I dont now how to report it with reportbug
> for emdebian.

That was in the announcement email - all bug reports for Grip or Crush
are to be filed against the buildd.emdebian.org pseudo-package.
reportbug itself isn't part of Grip until such time as I can get it to
send all bug reports to the pseudo-package.

> I had to use sid instead of grip because there is no debootstrap script
> for grip.

debootstrap doesn't need a suite script for grip, Grip uses unstable
and a codename of sid, it will use testing and a codename of squeeze
and use stable with a codename of lenny.