Re: EmDebian on Debian Etch - A Step-By-Step Guide

Hello Neil,

Greetings!

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 12:17 AM, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:

> OK, that might be a little bit tight for a GUI based on Lenny, even with
> XFCE. However, I read below that you don't need a GUI so 512Mb is plenty
> of space. I'm still not sure what you want the device to do though
> because amd64 is a powerful architecture and I can't imagine that you'd
> get it to run without a fan or have much of a battery life if the device
> is meant to be portable, which makes it hard to see the appeal of solid
> state storage.

I am not planning to target the portable device for now.

> So why the solid state storage?

Because the system that I am planning to do is an Asterisk PBX which I
think is better if it is in a solid state storage.

> You'll have noticed that the one via the Emdebian repository is a later
> version. emdebian-tools in Debian unstable is frozen pending the Lenny
> release but development of emdebian-tools continues in the Emdebian
> repository. Installing emdebian-tools from Debian (testing or unstable)
> adds the Emdebian repository to your apt sources so that you can have a
> cross-building toolchain installed and maintained. Alongside the
> toolchain, the repository provides updated versions of emdebian-tools
> and other support packages. So the normal / right way is to install
> emdebian-tools from Debian as normal, then get the latest versions at
> the next apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade cycle.
>
> This pattern will continue after Lenny because it allows us to always
> have the latest version of emdebian-tools in the Emdebian repository
> even whilst supporting delayed uploads to Debian to allow time for
> migration into testing. There have been many instances where I've made a
> new release of emdebian-tools within the 10 day period needed to allow
> the previous release to migrate into testing. That rate is slowing down
> now but it is still a useful option to keep the Emdebian developers as
> close as possible to the current state of Emdebian SVN.

Ok, copy.

> OK - the Eee PC port is more a set of tweaks rather than a complete new
> architecture. Once tweaked, Debian Lenny does run nicely on the Eee PC
> and the similar Acer Aspire1.

Ok.

> In which case, standard Debian will fit nicely.

What version? I prefer to use the stable version for production use
and in this case, it will be Etch.

> http://www.emdebian.org/emdebian/flavours.html
>
> Hence there is no particular role for Grip in Lenny, only against
> Squeeze. You are welcome to try it out but you can also simply
> delete /usr/share/doc/ and /usr/share/man after installation. Emdebian
> Grip will retain the copyright files (compressed) for legal reasons of
> distribution but you should be careful removing stuff
> from /usr/share/locale/ in order not to disable your translation
> support.

Ok.

Thank you very much for the information you shared. I really appreciate it.

Regards,

GNUbie