Re: EmDebian on Debian Etch - A Step-By-Step Guide

On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 04:06 +0800, GNUbie wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am confused where to start with EmDebian. I am running Debian Etch

There is no Emdebian support in Etch.

> on my AMD64 laptop and I want this to be my host and build system at
> the same time.

Why? What are you hoping to gain? I find it hard to believe that any
amd64 machine would benefit from Emdebian. If host == build, that is a
native build - the only benefit of the Emdebian patches would be to
reduce installation size. I don't know of any amd64 laptops that are
sufficiently short of disc space to warrant Emdebian.

Generally, laptops != embedded. Even netbooks like the Eee and Aspire1
can run Debian. Support for a slightly slimmer Debian for such devices
will not exist in Debian or Emdebian until after the Lenny release.

> Could anyone from this list to please tell me where and
> how shall I start in creating an EmDebian system for an i386 and/or
> AMD64 target machine?

So which? i386 or amd64? If it is the laptop, please give more
information on what resources are available on the laptop and why you
think it needs Emdebian. If it is some other machine, note that there
are only packages available for ARM right now. Outline support for i386
(Eee PC, Aspire1 etc.) is pending as is mips and mipsel support.