Re: EmDebian on Debian Etch - A Step-By-Step Guide

Hi GNUbie,

> That is what I want to achieve, to reduce the installation size to my
> target machine (which is not my laptop). My target machine to install
> a stripped down GNU/Linux (hopefully it will be EmDebian) may be an
> AMD64 on a mini-ITX motherboard. I am planning to use a Disk-On-Module
> IDE flash to store the system.

What is the size of the DOM IDE flash?

A minimum Etch built by debootstrap is about 150M. Adding xfce4
probably increases the size to 500M. Using squashfs reduces about
50% or more than 250M.

Emdebian only makes sense if your flash storage is 16M or less.

Bao
--
Best Regards.
Bao C. Ha