Re: EmDebian on Debian Etch - A Step-By-Step Guide

Hello Neil,

Greetings!

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 8:30 PM, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:

> There is no Emdebian support in Etch.

My laptop is running Debian Etch AMD64 right now. So what distribution
do you suggest?

> Why? What are you hoping to gain? I find it hard to believe that any
> amd64 machine would benefit from Emdebian. If host == build, that is a
> native build - the only benefit of the Emdebian patches would be to
> reduce installation size. I don't know of any amd64 laptops that are
> sufficiently short of disc space to warrant Emdebian.

That is what I want to achieve, to reduce the installation size to my
target machine (which is not my laptop). My target machine to install
a stripped down GNU/Linux (hopefully it will be EmDebian) may be an
AMD64 on a mini-ITX motherboard. I am planning to use a Disk-On-Module
IDE flash to store the system.

> Generally, laptops != embedded. Even netbooks like the Eee and Aspire1
> can run Debian. Support for a slightly slimmer Debian for such devices
> will not exist in Debian or Emdebian until after the Lenny release.

Yes, I know that. Maybe you misunderstood my previous statement. The
build machine that I will be using is my AMD64 laptop and prepare the
EmDebian system on that same machine. Once I'm done creating the
stripped down Debian or EmDebian on my AMD64 laptop, I will then
transfer it to the target machine which might be an AMD64 machine on a
mini-ITX motherboard.

> So which? i386 or amd64? If it is the laptop, please give more
> information on what resources are available on the laptop and why you
> think it needs Emdebian. If it is some other machine, note that there
> are only packages available for ARM right now. Outline support for i386
> (Eee PC, Aspire1 etc.) is pending as is mips and mipsel support.

I am targeting an AMD64 machine but not my laptop. If there is no
EmDebian packages for AMD64, what do you recommend then? Please
advice.

By the way, I came across the Slind website. What is the difference
between Slind to EmDebian?

Thank you once again.

Regards,

GNUbie