Re: Emdebian 1.0 ?

Hello Neil,

since I have heavy problems in  France  with  the  administration  I  am
currently working between Swiss, Germany and Austria and not being  able
to respond in shorter delays...

However, currently I am searching a new appartement sor  something  like
this in Germany where I will have permanent Internet Connection...

Am 2008-08-04 18:57:23, schrieb Neil Williams:
> After a few discussions at DebCamp, I'd like to propose that we arrange
> to make a "release" of sorts alongside Debian Lenny 5.0 and call it:
>
> Emdebian 1.0 (based on Debian Lenny 5.0)
>
> Due to the (continuing) changes needed between Emdebian and Debian,
> probably best not to call it Emdebian Lenny 5.0 and it's not as if the
> packages would justify a v5.0 at this stage. Indeed, it might be worth
> calling it Emdebian 0.9 or 0.5.

I definitively like this Idea...

> What would be in the release?
>
> Single architecture: ARM
> 243 source packages, 783 binaries and 1,629 TDebs.

Nice Job!

> Support (in Debian Lenny 5.0) for preparing root filesystems for a
> variety of machines and variants from the available package set.
> There won't be any .tgz files to download from www.emdebian.org

;-)

> Subsequent work is :
>
> To bring TDebs to Debian in general.
> To implement D-I support for Emdebian root filesystems (needs a fix for

How dou you want to implement the D-I for EmDebian?

OK, I have a selvmade implementation based in infos from  NXP  (LH7A404)
and Atmel (AT91SAM7SE) and in eneral I am bootstraping only but since  I
now know, how the bootstrap  from  ARM  works,  it  was  quiet  easy  to
implement the installer...  But of course, I am using my own BootLoader.
since the one already installed in the Devices went not be  able  to  do
what I wanted...

RedBoot was the hell too.

> I've got only 4 more packages to fix for the autobuilder (and two of
> those can simply be dropped from Emdebian).

Unfortunately I can not help since the missing Internet connection...

> Once Debian Lenny is released, I'll start delayed NMU's for the
> remaining cross-building bugs:
> http://www.emdebian.org/bugs.php

You have something to do...

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)