Re: Emdebian 1.0 ?

On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 12:41 +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > Subsequent work is :
> >
> > To implement D-I support for Emdebian root filesystems (needs a fix for
>
> How dou you want to implement the D-I for EmDebian?

Provide a root filesystem to D-I and skip all the package installation
stages of normal D-I by doing so. Use existing support to combine the
root filesystem (from emsandbox) with a kernel and kernel modules.tgz
for D-I to handle. Possibly support partitioning before unpacking,
certainly support setting a user-specified root password and supporting
adding new users during the install. That's about it - basically make
Emdebian look more like Debian from the install onwards.

> OK, I have a selvmade implementation based in infos from  NXP  (LH7A404)
> and Atmel (AT91SAM7SE) and in eneral I am bootstraping only but since  I
> now know, how the bootstrap  from  ARM  works,  it  was  quiet  easy  to
> implement the installer...  But of course, I am using my own BootLoader.
> since the one already installed in the Devices went not be  able  to  do
> what I wanted...

Each device could end up with a quite different bootloader. Folding this
into D-I could be a challenge.

I'm not sure if I'm the best person to fold emsandbox tarballs, kernels
and modules into D-I suite - I've got enough to do fixing the existing
bugs, filing at least twice as many new ones, fixing bugs in the
autobuilder and migrating from ARM to armel. (Let alone support for
i386). Wookey was doing some work on scripting Emdebian installations
for balloon at TCl - not sure how easy that could be to adapt into a
generic D-I method.