Re: emdebian-tools unintentionally upgraded my system from "testing" to "unstable"!

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 15:25 +0000, Wookey wrote:
> On 2008-02-07 15:09 +0100, Wojtek Zabolotny wrote:
> > Wookey wrote:
> > >On 2008-02-07 13:05 +0100, Wojtek Zabolotny wrote:
> > I have repeated the whole procedure:
> > # apt-get install emdebian-tools
>
> > >So I am not convinced that emdebian-tools use of 'unstable' as its
> > >default toolchain repository is the cause of your problems with wine.
> > >

> > Yes it is. In the generated emdebian.sources.list file there are lines:
> >
> > deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian unstable main
> > deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian unstable main
> >
> > This is the source of my problems!
>
> I agree. That is indeed the cause. Thank you for the thorough testing
> and quick feedback.
>
> Neil. We shouldn't be adding unstable _debian_ repos to people's
> not-currently-unstable machines without asking.

True - this is an intermittent bug in how the apt sources are being
checked in postinst.

The $suite variable itself comes from debconf because the method of
parsing 'apt-cache policy' proved very unreliable. If you are building
for unstable, you need unstable build dependency cache information. When
that happens on testing, I'm not sure how we should proceed.

> Why are adding a debian repo at all?

Because emdebian-tools needs access to a "primary" Debian mirror, one
that includes all supported architectures instead of just the most
common ones. There is no guarantee that any particular user is still
using a primary Debian mirror in their apt sources.

It is this primary check that has an intermittent failure.

The reason it didn't recur when deleted and reinstalled has little to do
with deleting the file and more to do with the check succeeding second
time around.

Wojtek: Please file this as a bug in the normal Debian manner and
*please* ensure you use reportbug to do it. Several reasons:
1. It gives me a record to follow that is easier to track than the
mailing list archive.
2. reportbug asks you a few questions that are extremely useful to me
when solving bugs like this - the bug report is useless to me without
the answers to the questions from reportbug.
3. it helps others

File it as "normal" because the problem is intermittent, it does go away
on repeated testing and it is more than a minor irritation.