Re: emdebian-tools unintentionally upgraded my system from "testing" to "unstable"!

Wookey wrote:
On 2008-02-07 13:05 +0100, Wojtek Zabolotny wrote:
When I installed the "emdebian-tools" on my debian/testing system, it has created the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emdebian.sources.list file, which in turn caused my system to upgrade to the debian/unstable.

I don't think that can be the whole story. Whilst emdebian adds a line
which by default references _emdebian.org_ unstable, that can have no
effect on the version of _debian_ repository you are using.
Repositories' suites are independent of each other.
Using packages from emdebian can encourage your system to use debian
unstable packages (due to toolchain dependencies) _if_ the unstable
repository is already listed in your sources list. Was it?

I'm almost sure it wasn't.
But if it is there then your system will move on to unstable anyway
unless you specify an apt prefence to hold it back anyway.
I have repeated the whole procedure:
# apt-get install emdebian-tools
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done
Suggested packages:
 deb-gview meld
 emdebian-tools
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/129kB of archives.
After unpacking 512kB of additional disk space will be used.
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously deselected package emdebian-tools.
(Reading database ... 254709 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking emdebian-tools (from .../emdebian-tools_0.7.0_all.deb) ...
Setting up emdebian-tools (0.7.0) ...

Creating config file /etc/emsource.conf with new version

Creating config file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emdebian.sources.list with new version

#

This is the contents of the created emdebian.sources.list:

# The Emdebian toolchain repository
deb http://www.emdebian.org/debian/ unstable main
deb-src http://www.emdebian.org/debian/ unstable main
# Emdebian requires at least one primary mirror. Use this one
# OR add your preferred mirror to your apt sources,
# run 'apt-get update', and then use:
# dpkg-reconfigure emdebian-tools
# See http://www.debian.org/mirror/list for a list of primary mirrors.
deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian unstable main
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian unstable main

And this is my /etc/apt/sources.list (many entries are commented out):

#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot i386 Binary-1 (20051029)]/ etch contrib main
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main non-free contrib
deb http://ftp.pl.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.pl.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main
#deb http://debian-multimedia.dfoell.org/ testing main
#deb-src http://www.debian-multimedia.org/debian/ testing main
#deb http://ftp.icm.edu.pl/pub/Linux/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
#deb-src http://ftp.icm.edu.pl/pub/Linux/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
deb http://buildd.emdebian.org/debian/ testing main
#deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free

So there is really no reference to unstable at all!!!

However, the nice thing is that if I remove the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emdebian.sources.list manually, then the emdebian-tools do not try to reinstall it again:

#apt-get install emdebian-tools --reinstall
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/129kB of archives.
After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 254761 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace emdebian-tools 0.7.0 (using .../emdebian-tools_0.7.0_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement emdebian-tools ...
Setting up emdebian-tools (0.7.0) ...
Not replacing deleted config file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emdebian.sources.list
So I am not convinced that emdebian-tools use of 'unstable' as its
default toolchain repository is the cause of your problems with wine.

Yes it is. In the generated emdebian.sources.list file there are lines:

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian unstable main
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian unstable main

This is the source of my problems!
I do agree that it would be nice if emdebia-tools added testing on
testing boxes and unstable on unstable boxes but that requires the
emdebian repositories to be properly in sync with testing, which they
are not yet (quite).

Wojtek