Re: emdebian-tools unintentionally upgraded my system from "testing" to "unstable"!

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 15:25:58 +0000
Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:

> On 2008-02-07 15:09 +0100, Wojtek Zabolotny wrote:
> > Wookey wrote:
> > >On 2008-02-07 13:05 +0100, Wojtek Zabolotny wrote:
> > I have repeated the whole procedure:
> > # apt-get install emdebian-tools
>
> > >So I am not convinced that emdebian-tools use of 'unstable' as its
> > >default toolchain repository is the cause of your problems with
> > >wine.
> > >

> > Yes it is. In the generated emdebian.sources.list file there are
> > lines:
> >
> > deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian unstable main
> > deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian unstable main
> >
> > This is the source of my problems!
>
> I agree. That is indeed the cause. Thank you for the thorough testing
> and quick feedback.
>
> Neil. We shouldn't be adding unstable _debian_ repos to people's
> not-currently-unstable machines without asking.
>
> Why are adding a debian repo at all?

Hi,

In my case, installing emdebian-tools, produced a series of "debconf"
questions, one of which was to choose the suite
(stable,testing,unstable) that I wanted. So, you have to choose
unstable to get "unstable" entries in emdebian.sources.list.

"sudo dpkg-reconfigure emdebian-tools" is a way to reproduce this.

However, I do agree that it is not needed (and dangerous) to add main
repositories lines to the emdebian.sources.list file. They should be
already in sources.list.

Cheers,

Dimitris