Re: emsetup bug

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 18:46:48 +0000
Neil Williams <linux@codehelp.co.uk> wrote:

> > $ cat ./.dpkg-cross/apt.conf-unstable
> > Dir "/home/jh150702/.dpkg-cross/"
> > {
> >   Etc "/home/jh150702/.dpkg-cross/"
> >   {
> >     SourceList "sources.unstable";
> >   };
> >   State "unstable/";
> >   Cache "unstable/";
> > };
> > Acquire::http::Proxy "http://129.147.62.25:8080";;
>
> OK, I'll look into *not* replacing the apt.conf-$suite files if they
> already exist or possibly an optional setting to update the cache
> without replacing the content of these files.

The content of these files is likely to change between releases - I've
already got one change to make in apt-cross 0.0.6. This is my current
file, created by 0.0.6:

Dir "/home/neil/.dpkg-cross/"
{
  Etc "/home/neil/.dpkg-cross/"
  {
    SourceList "sources.unstable";
  };
  State "unstable/"
  {
    Status "/home/neil/.dpkg-cross/status-unstable";
  }
  Cache "unstable/";
};

v0.0.6 will need that extra Status stanza (locally configured) to work
correctly.

What if I could add a line '#include apt.conf-unstable.local' that
could include a separate file? (Along the lines of how bind handles
named.conf.local?) It is probably the better solution, overall.

You could then leave apt-cross to manage
~/.dpkg-cross/apt.conf-unstable and have your proxy setting in
~/.dpkg-cross/apt.conf-unstable.local

I don't have a proxy setup to test, could you try this at your end? Any
additional content in these files is managed in the setup_config()
routine of apt-cross. Adding the include instruction at line 327 should
do the job. I need to know also if the absence of the .local file
causes any error messages, i.e. whether apt-cross should touch
the .local file or whether it can be left entirely to the user. It's
probably best if the #include doesn't specify a full path, I'd expect
it to work with a relative path or no path at all (as above). The
filename may need to be quoted though. Whilst testing, you may need to
put your own proxy line within setup_config() in apt-cross so that
emsetup uses the proxy even when updating.

Thanks.