Re: emsetup bug

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 21:08:48 +0000
Wookey <wookey@aleph1.co.uk> wrote:

> I understand what you are saying, and agree up to a point that the
> supported method is 'use the same versions as upstream'. However, I
> think three is a lot of merit in letting people use external
> toolchains.

OK. All the relevant checks take place in emsetup and the other scripts
should be fairly version-neutral - providing that the versions of
dpkg-cross, apt-cross and the scripts themselves are up to date. Apart
from the toolchain, most of the setup is just making apt-cross happy.

> There are a whole host of reasons why you might need to
> use another toolchain (different CPU or FPU options, weird kernels).
> There are an awful lot of devices not directly supported by Debian,
> but which have kernel ports, and some of those will need older
> compiler versions. Simply saying emdebian is no use to all those
> people is a bit harsh (at this stage).

I just don't want to get a bunch of bug reports that only apply using
"unsupported" kernels or toolchains. It makes it almost impossible to
understand the bug reports - this is already an unavoidable issue with
dpkg-cross.

> It may turn out that things really will only work with 'latest'
> toolchain and people will just have to sort it out and make their
> compilers work, but in practice it often won't matter much.
>
> So whilst I think it is reasonable for you to say 'I'm not supporting
> that', I think if Jim has a sensible patch we should put the option
> in, and see if it really causes problems. I suspect I'll need it
> myself too.

It may simply be necessary to *not* use 'emsetup' if the toolchain is
unsupported - I'm not sure if Jim's proposed method will work out but
I'll take a look at patches that have a neutral effect on the supported
usage.

Jim: please could you only post/submit diff's or patches in -u format?
It's much easier to read. The diff you posted in your reply would break
other configurations horribly, if I've read it correctly.