Re: emsetup bug

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 22:41:45 -0500
Jim Heck <jsurf@heckheck.com> wrote:

> Actually there's another bug buried in those error messages that I
> ran across and was going to post about.
>
> You'll notice that it's also complaining about the inability to find
> gcc-0-arm-linux-gnu.  I think that's due to a bug in Tools.pm in the
> find_latest_gcc() routine.

No, it's because the architecture-specific cache has not been populated.

>  I think the regular expression to extract
> the gcc version from the package name isn't quite right.  I show a
> diff below of how I fixed it.

No need.

>  Also, I had to hack the
> check_toolchains() routine to return "true", since I have installed,
> and am trying to use, a gcc-3.4 toolchain (for compatibility with a
> 2.4 kernel), and the check_toolchains() routine won't let me get away
> with that, since for 'testing' suite, the latest toolchain is
> gcc-4.1.

Can't you install a gcc-4.1 toolchain as well as 3.4? Emdebian depends
on Debian and building packages with an older compiler may expose old
bugs.

The default kernel in Etch is 2.6 - Emdebian staying in step with
Debian means that the kernel for Emdebian will also be a 2.6 kernel and
all packages will be built against a build tree based on a 2.6 kernel.

> I was thinking a way to deal with this would be to modify
> the check_toolchains() routine to accept a parameter and pass in a
> preferred version of a toolchain from the cross-compile conf file,
> with the default being "latest", which would cause the check_toolchain
> () routine to lookup the latest toolchain.

emdebian-tools is based around whatever is the current default compiler
version (and other essential toolchain packages) in Debian. Various
other parts may break with other versions and, personally, I cannot
support them. Staying in step with Debian is important in Emdebian. You
are free to maintain your own patches but I don't have time to support
emdebian-tools using anything except the latest current toolchain in
the Emdebian tools repository using the current Debian default compiler.

> This would allow the
> user  to get the latest toochain by default but specify a different
> one if that is what they have installed.  I didn't, however, code any
> of that up yet as a proposed patch.  Does anybody think that would be
> a good idea?

Personally, I'm not keen on supporting this within emdebian-tools. It
does not fit with the purposes of the current emdebian-tools scripts.