Re: emsetup bug

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 18:48:12 -0500
Jim Heck <jsurf@heckheck.com> wrote:

> > -u|--update
> >           Force the user-specific apt-cross cache to be updated.

> posting without success.  I have one suspicion, I am behind a proxy
> server, and I notice that my .dpkg-cross/apt.conf-unstable file is
> being rewritten each time I run ' apt-cross -v -a powerpc -S unstable
> -u'.

As above, if you specify -u (--update), apt-cross will force an update
of the cache. The apt.conf-$suite files were not expected to be edited.

>  This effectively erases the proxy line I have that allows apt
> to work properly.  Could this be the reason my architecture specific
> apt-cache is empty?

Yes.

> Thanks for all your time looking into this.  I'm more than happy to
> provide you with any debugging information you need, and I don't want
> to be a tax on your time if this is my own issue (if you think so,
> just say so, my next step was going to be to try all this on a fresh
> Ubuntu install, perhaps from a place where I don't need the proxy
> server).

If it is the proxy and if the apt.conf-$suite files need to handle
proxies, this is going to affect others so I want to fix it.

> $ cat ./.dpkg-cross/apt.conf-unstableDir "/home/jh150702/.dpkg-cross/"
> {
>   Etc "/home/jh150702/.dpkg-cross/"
>   {
>     SourceList "sources.unstable";
>   };
>   State "unstable/";
>   Cache "unstable/";
> };
> Acquire::http::Proxy "http://129.147.62.25:8080";;

OK, I'll look into *not* replacing the apt.conf-$suite files if they
already exist or possibly an optional setting to update the cache
without replacing the content of these files.