Re: developing .deb packages for embedded systems

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 16:41:32 +0100
Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 15:49:50 +0100
> Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:
>
> > > Yes - if those changes are to files in debian/* then emdebian-tools
> > > will pick up those changes. If you mean patches to the upstream source,
> > > you should use whatever patch system is used by the package and
> > > implement a patch in debian/patches (or wherever else the package
> > > stores patches).
> >
> > This is an area we need to think about. Nearly every embedded
> > developer needs to modify a subset of packages, uusally in minor ways,
> > but sometimes extensively. For emdebian to be really useful it needs
> > to make this as easy as possible.
>
> My first reaction is to consider ways to have the same binary package
> in the repository for all users to have available for the next upgrade
> (which may well involve changes in areas unaffected by the embedded
> changes) and some way to modify the behaviour of that package -
> preferably upon installation so that the package doesn't have to do
> lots of configuration stuff every time it runs.

Another problem with that method is a tendency for packages themselves
to get bigger and bigger. By sticking with one base package from Debian
and our changes overlaid on top, what we gain from easier builds we may
lose in increased download times. If the solution to that is just to
split the device-specific stuff into more and more sub packages, that
only compounds problems around the size of the apt-cache and dpkg
status files.

Still, I think (IMHO) that this is preferable to having a dozen or more
device-specific versions of libgtk+2.0-0 because we would still have
the problem of the size of the apt-cache and dpkg files but with the
additional burden of transitions that would become truly scary when
libfoo depends on libbar but libfoo only has 6 versions and libbar has
12.