developing .deb packages for embedded systems

hi,
 i m working on a project which develops linux based OS for embedded
devices.
Uptill now we have not dpkg'ed any of our code. But now we planning to move
to dpkg'ing all of our code.
As i can't use already available .deb packages, i have to start every thing
from scratch.

We use scratchbox as cross compilation tool.

Any advice regarding where to start with will be helpful

thanks
varun