Re: developing .deb packages for embedded systems

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 06:52:16 -0700 (PDT)
varun_shrivastava <varun.celunite@gmail.com> wrote:

> hello Neil
>
>   i can use emdebian .deb packages but for example we have made  changes to
> gtk library.
> Now if i use emdebian .deb package than can i apply my changes to emdebian
> .deb package?

Yes - if those changes are to files in debian/* then emdebian-tools
will pick up those changes. If you mean patches to the upstream source,
you should use whatever patch system is used by the package and
implement a patch in debian/patches (or wherever else the package
stores patches).

Then make those patches available for others to view.

There would need to be some form of checking before the patches would
be included into the Emdebian package uploaded to our repository and
wherever possible, patches should be in a state compatible with being
fed upstream to Debian. The effects of the patch should be insulated
from the normal Debian build by being wrapped inside automake
conditionals, active only when cross-building, or other methods that
do not change Debian behaviour, only cross-built behaviour.