Re: developing .deb packages for embedded systems

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 06:38:49 -0700 (PDT)
varun_shrivastava <varun.celunite@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi Neil,
>
>    when i do apt-get install emdebian-tools it searches in  the ubuntu
> repository. And reports a broken link.

Hmm. emdebian-tools does have problems with Ubuntu. (Next time, mention
that in your request too - there are differences between Debian and
Ubuntu so when people ask questions on debian-devel {the original
message}, people do tend to assume that you are using Debian).

Anyways, this sounds like a Ubuntu problem. No idea why their
repository is showing a broken link.

> So could you please tell me what lines to add in /etc/apt/sources.list, so
> that i can get it from emdebian repository.

The emdebian repository is:
deb http://www.emdebian.org/debian/ unstable main
deb-src http://www.emdebian.org/debian/ unstable main

You may still need to find a fix for that broken link because you may
not get the correct dependencies otherwise.

One solution to this is to use debootstrap in Ubuntu to create a Debian
chroot and then work in that. Specify the flavour as "sid" or "lenny"
instead of any Ubuntu codenames - emdebian-tools is the same version in
sid as in lenny currently, 0.3.0.

Using a chroot means that you won't have to add the emdebian repository
to your main system, it will be configured for you within the chroot
when you correctly install emdebian-tools from Debian. This should also
happen with the Ubuntu version, if that had been accessible to you.

Right now, I'd recommend the Debian chroot method.

Join #emdebian on IRC for more help.
http://www.emdebian.org/develinfo.html