Re: Building embedded arm on a NSLU2

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 19:22:09 +0200
Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> wrote:

> > Build more packages, fix bugs in those cross-built packages, keep those
> > packages updated against latest Debian sources. Keep the toolchains
> > installable and in sync with Debian, generate and maintain the
> > documentation and helper scripts.
>
> OK, since I have already a WORKING (and striped down) System,
> I will check, which Packages are missing from emdebian...
>
> My PRIMARY need is an Ultra-Light Workstation with "fvwm".

That will take longer. My first target is Gtk. So far, we don't have it
and lots of dependent libraries simply fail to cross-build. Fixing
those is a *lot* of work and fvwm will need most of those currently
problematic packages.

Then there are the problems with autobuilding updated packages because
the packages that I have built so far are getting increasingly out of
date.

> I calculate with March/2008.

Maybe.

> > I think you may have severely underestimated the amount of work
> > required.
>
> Not realy...
>
> The biggest problem is, to find the right Hardware/Software combination.

? Right now there is very little software and plenty of hardware.

> I need maximum hardware security and low power consumation which requires
> experience... and time.

Now this confuses me - Emdebian is not about low power consumption, it
is about small installed size. Running an Emdebian package will require
exactly the same amount of computer cycles as the normal Debian package
on the same machine because it is the same binary. What we save is
installed size, allowing the same code onto smaller devices and
simplifying the dependency chain to fit.

Low power consumption is a different goal that requires other kernel
stuff on CPU speeds and other hardware bits. (I leave all that to others
on this list who know far more than I do about hardware issues.)

Installing Emdebian will not magically turn a power-mad machine into a
low power device.