Re: Building embedded arm on a NSLU2

Am 2007-07-26 20:42:51, schrieb Neil Williams:
> On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:58:28 +0200
> Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> wrote:
> > I have the need for a bunch of Server and (ultra light) Workstations
> > based on "arm", "mips" or i386 (I am not speaking about Pentium M or
> > such, since the consume too much energy)
>
> Emdebian is not at that stage, yet.

Today I have ordered 6 different Systems using arm7, arm9, MIPS, Geode
and PentiumM System to test...

From the price of those 6 SBC's I can buy 20 normal PC's - Argh!!!

But I think, the PentiumM with 1200MHz will be a very good Workstation.

> Depends on the intended machine. :-)
>
> Take a look at OpenEmbedded.

Hmmm...

> > Maybe I am blind or does the Website does not contain infos about it?
>
> Not about specific kernels at the moment, no.

Uff, - I was thinking I must consult an optician...

> http://www.emdebian.org/develinfo.html#todo
>
> http://www.emdebian.org/emdebian/todo.html

Hmmm...

> > And?  --  What must be done to build such image?
>
> Build more packages, fix bugs in those cross-built packages, keep those
> packages updated against latest Debian sources. Keep the toolchains
> installable and in sync with Debian, generate and maintain the
> documentation and helper scripts.

OK, since I have already a WORKING (and striped down) System,
I will check, which Packages are missing from emdebian...

My PRIMARY need is an Ultra-Light Workstation with "fvwm".

> 5 days? Please tell, what was it about the Emdebian project that led
> you to think that anything related to Emdebian could be available for
> installation on any system within 5 days?

No, but now I have more time and since the MoD (and the new President)
has fucked me and my unit I HAVE the NEED to leave this country very
fast but notimmediatly.

> At this stage, I'm hoping to get a usable system by the end of this
> year, not this month.

Right.  Since I hvae curently only 2 of 8 Mobilhomes (I call it modules)
I calculate with March/2008.  But need very fast an embedded System for
my decentral Photopholtaik-System because in Winter it is useless...

The (Solar-)Charger will be Embedded Debian and it is more complex as
I was thinking where a hardware-only solution was not realy working.

And since Maxim One-Wire is supported by the kernel...  :-)

> I think you may have severely underestimated the amount of work
> required.

Not realy...

The biggest problem is, to find the right Hardware/Software combination.

Buying an Opteron and installing anything on it is easy and fast, but will
cost you security (in case of Hardware failure) and Energy (electricity).

I need maximum hardware security and low power consumation which requires
experience... and time.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)