Re: Patch: grep 2.5.1.ds2-6em2

On 7/21/07, Neil Williams <linux@codehelp.co.uk> wrote:
1. Copyright Google ? With no declaration that this is actually under
the same licence as the package itself, a bare Copyright line is
unacceptable - it implies All Rights Reserved.

This is "work for hire", so what I wrote belongs to Google, and I need
to put the copyright line there for non-trivial changes.  However, I
have management approval to contribute the changes back to emdebian,
so releasing the code under a free license is not a problem.  All
Rights Reserved is definitely not what we want, but I was at a loss on
how to license the script because I did not see a license statement in
the file either.

Releasing changes in the same license as the package sounds fine by me.

2. What is this patch against? The emdebian patch files? If so, what is
this line all about:
-include /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/debhelper.mk
em_make replaces that line with the Emdebian debhelper makefile but
that file is still necessary.

This patch is against svn head, so you are reading a patch of a patch.
The line you are concerned about is a context line (starts with
space), not a patch line (starts with + or -).  What is the preferred
format of communicating changes to emdebian packaging?

3. The changes to debian/rules don't use the debhelper routines nor the
normal CDBS methods. We need to avoid manual 'cp' rules at all costs -
these cause problems for us in other packages, there is no reason to
use them ourselves.

I can easily remove the single $(CURDIR)/debian/tmp/bin copy and use
debhelper instead.  I learn mostly from existing emdebian packages --
the loop to move the translations into the locale is adapted from
debian/rules in the emdebian aptitude package.  If that is not the
preferred emdebian-way, I can easily stop doing that too.

Thanks for spotting the problems with the grep package - I'll sort it
out at this end. Got a few other things to sort out first to do with
fixes in apt-cross stopping emlocale from working properly.

It looks like you already have the grep package taken care of.  I have
been working my way through other packages; sometimes just refreshing
emdebian patches against newer debian packages, and occasionally
fixing problems here and there as well.  Is it a useful thing for me
to post more patches here?

If people think contributions like this are useful, this is a good
time to establish a protocol on contributing changes.

--
Chuan-kai Lin