Re: How do I fix a -dcv1 vs. -cross mess?

On 06-08-28 00:41 -0100, Phil Endecott wrote:
> >I will build myself a newer cross-compiler.
>
> gcc-3.4 build-depends on libc6-dev-*-cross (>= 2.3.5-10)
>
> My target machine has libc6-2.3.2.ds1-22.
>
> I fear that if I upgrade libc on the target the whole system will fall
> apart.
>
> I haven't had many replies to these questions.  Are any other readers using
> debian cross-compilers to build for targets running stable, or am I the
> only one?

It's still not a popular activity. I use them for building bootloaders
and kernels, but not recently for rootfs stuff - I have been doing
that natively, although I intend to change. I haven't hit the
dpkg-cross version change because it was the old one last time I used
it seriously. And I wouldn't be targetting stable even then. I think
gcc 3.4 is a sensible minimum these days (as you are discovering).

One 'feature' of the debian cross-build stuff seems to me to be that
it is difficult to target something significantly different (in
versions) from the build system. The way things interelate just means
that in practice you really need to build on something approximating
the target otherwise you will have trouble.

In your situation, targetting stable, I'd have a stable build system (in a
chroot for convenience). Then you will have no trouble using gcc3.3
with old dpkg-cross etc. In principle this is not necessary but as you
observe you would need to fix gcc 3.3 to know about new dpkg-cross to
get it working otherwise.

> Maybe my best bet is to downgrade dpkg-cross.

Quite possibly.

One thing that would be really useful is for you to write this up on
the debian.org wiki (add a 'CategoryEmdebian' name at the bottom).
Your collected info on versions of gcc which support dpkg-cross pre/post
-dcv1, and general analysis of the issue will be useful to those who
follow, I think.

work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/                 play: http://wookware.org/