Re: How do I fix a -dcv1 vs. -cross mess?

I asked:
Can anyone confirm whether or not the cross-compilation code in the Debian gcc-3.3 package has been upgraded to put "provides: *-dcv1" in the things
that
it builds?

I've had a trawl through all the Debian GCC changelogs, and I find that:

gcc-3.4 was fixed in 3.4.6-2
gcc-4.0 was fixed in 4.0.3-3
gcc-4.1 was fixed in 4.1.0-2

gcc-3.3 has not been fixed.  So gcc-3.3 cannot be used with the current dpkg-cross.

Does anyone know if it is possible to write conflict rules so that you cannot erroneously install the new dpkg-cross when you have a cross-compiler that it will not work with? I can't think of an alternative to enumerating all the possible cross-compilers.

OK, so I will build myself a newer cross-compiler. Let's hope I can avoid most of the C++ ABI issues...

Phil.