Re: Reducing installed package size

+++ David Weinehall [06-05-02 19:01 +0200]:
> On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 04:03:38PM +0000, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> > Philippe De Swert wrote:
> > > Recently playing with the localepurge package the following came up:
> > >
> > > Would it be a good idea to create similar packages that purge documentation,
> > > man pages, changelogs etc...?
> > >
> > > This would basically mean we have a simple system to remove all of this after
> > > install which gives us greater flexibility and removes the need to adapt the
> > > Debian build system. Also it allows for re-use in normal Debian or maybe
> > > Slind. It will definitely make it handier for people to have and maintain
> > > small Debian installations. Not having to remove all the unnecessary bloat by
> > > hand each time after an upgrade.
> >
> > Just a opinion: Would it be possible to prevent dpkg writing these files
> > to the system at all? Think of flash devices, where write cycles are
> > expensive.
>
> Possibly by patching dpkg, but other than that I don't know of any
> way to do it.

Guillem Jover proposed and discussed this functionality at the recent
Extremadura work session. This was a general mechanism in dpkg to not
install specifiable files. I am not sure if it has yet progressed past the
concept, but this does seem like the best generilsed way to implement this
feature (better than a load of separate purge-foo packages).

Guillem - what is the status and are there any details for people to read?