building emdebian for i486

Greeetings emdebians,

Bitworks, Inc the company I work for produces some systems based on
the STPC Atlas.

In the past I've been using a hodgepodge of Debian Stable + ptxdist +
debootstrap built on a intel machine with the -march i486 option and
some (very long) native compiles to produce our target images.  The
STPC Atlas is a i486 class device.  (I think it uses the cyrix core,
That's how /proc/cupinfo sees it)

Now however we need to produce some sort of setup that will allow my
customer to rebuild his system.  I've been reading mailing lists and &
howtos going over what most of my options appear to be.

I think what I want to do is produce a cross compile setup based on
emdebian.  Debian is already deeply woven into how we do our embedded
setup so it just makes sense.

I see that the tools are still in a state of flux with the release of
sarge and debconf5 driving  some changes.  But I'm prepared to work
through those issues and produce a working emdebian toolchain for and
minimal root filesystem i486.

If I've glarked the right stuff my first step appears to either be
dpkg-cross or stag for building the toolchain.  With stag being
perfered if it will work.  Yes?
Note that you don't have packages for my arch available so I will have
to build them.  (Well not really, i386 stuff would work but that's
cheating)

I'll also produce documentation for duplicating this and host the
resulting binary images on our website since I'm going to have to do
it for my customer anyway.

Rather than spend loads of time fumbleing through documentation that
appears to be outdated I figured I'd just come out and ask.

So... step 1?  I'll be here waiting with my apt-get on alert.

--
Richard A. Smith