Re: Community development process

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 01:43:21PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> +++ Allen Curtis [04-07-15 13:27 -0700]:
> > I am willing to do more if someone wants to provide a laundry list.
>
> I copied over all nikita's current built toolchains. Changing the toolchain
> web pages to make these obvious and avaialble as an aptable repository would
> be good.
>
> I've started modifying nikita's toolchain build scripts to note the
> existence of new toolchain versions, and then download and build them. This
>  is the compbuildscript in /var/emdebian/tools/. I want this to
> automatically build uptodate toolchains and notify people when it goes wrong.
>
> It's a bit tricky when you get to the details (e.g. dpkg fails to find
> gcc-3.4 on that machine, presumably because that is only in unstable.). And
> then there's deciding when to migrate toolchains to 'stable' (i.e. we think
> they work reasonably well), and setting up the aptable stuff so that there
> is a  distinction between emdebian the distro itself and emdebian-provided
> debian toolchains. So we probably want emdebian-tools and emdebian
> repositories. That's what I'm aiming for - does that seem sensible to all?

Yes, sounds right to me.  Although that may not mean much if you read on..

I'm struggling to get my head round what's available and whats not, for my
own needs I'm looking for a distribution (or method of building an image)
that can be used for our range of planned devices, which is all PC-spec
Intel based kit, but ranging from a system that boots from flash (hence
building an image, emdebsys) to hd based systems (possibly emdebian using
glibc or just full-blown Debian, seen as emdebian looks like it's heading
in a uclibc only direction, although I'm not adverse to maintaining the
glibc end). The desire is for a consistent platform across devices.

Like most people, the idea of catching all security updates etc performed
by the Debian team and rebuilding into a more tightly contained system is
very desireable.

To me it really unclear what is achievable today and what is needed to get
us to "Milestone X".  What would be great, and may exist, is a step-by-step
for building a system (either Emdebian or Emdebsys) so that you end up with
a UML or chroot'able image. I'm more that happy to flesh out anything
existing.

Another step I don't understand is the work done by Liberty, so that I
can point emdebsys at my new kernel-source release, if emdebsys now knows
about Kconfig, does that mean I can just say "find your kernel source here"
and let it pickup all the right stuff when I run cmlcompile & cmlconfigure?
(at the moment it assumes your kernel is 2.4.18 unpatched right?, where if
I say here's your kernel, and happened to have patched in Bluetooth
support, I can configure that all)

OK, so I've just broken my rule about keeping quiet and looking stupid,
I've opened my mouth & removed all doubt :-)

I'm here to help in whatever way I can.

-simonm (E: simon@asidua.com W: +44 28 9072 5060 M: +44 7710 836915)
This space intentionally left blank