Re: uwoody - usid (was: Re: embdebian usable now?)

On Mon Apr 26, 2004 at 06:09:49PM +0200, David Schmitt wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 03:48:34PM +0100, Bruno Gravato wrote:
> > If you need some packages in debian which are not
> > available in uwoody you can install a uwoody buildroot and
> > then get deb sources from woody and dpkg-buildpackage it
> > (so they are compiled with uclibc). I've successfully
> > rebuilt many packages this way without much trouble.
>
> Yes, uwoody rock big time. The only question is, how will it handle the
> next uclibc version? From what I have gathered, uclibc will break binary
> compatability with one of their next releases and as far as I can figure
> that out[1] this means that the whole system has to be bootstrapped
> again, doesn't it?

You are correct.  The current uClibc CVS is not ABI compatible
with uwoody.  Rebuilding the whole lot vs the new will be _much_
easier than building the whole thing in the first place.

Anyway, it all works quite well as is, so I do not plan to
rebuild it all till after mjn3 and I have the next uClibc release
out.  That may be a while, given our recent work load on other
things,

 -Erik