Re: some thoughts (scratchbox, emdebian/rules)

Lauri Leukkunen wrote:
ext Dan Kegel wrote:

I agree.  Let's try to, over time, get rid of the need for scratchbox.

I strongly support this goal :)
It probably means improving gcc and binutils (this is already progressing), getting the general awareness of how to build good build systems up to a reasonable level and a strong movement to use the normal open source software components in embedded systems (not just the kernels).

I agree with all that.  For what it's worth, I've been working
on the (mostly trivial) binutils, gcc, and glibc compilation
issues; my work is at http://kegel.com/crosstool

By the way, I don't think you really need it to compile X;
I seem to recall the ptxdist folks have a way of cross-compiling that
already.

XFree86 supports cross-compilation out of the box. You just need to know how to configure it. It ain't rocket science but not very trivial either.

Except for the occasional circular dependency, of course :-)
- Dan

--
US citizens: if you're considering voting for Bush, look at these first:
http://www.misleader.org/