Re: an approach for the mini-debian distribution

+++ Philippe De Swert [04-01-16 20:52 +0100]:
> Hello,
>
> To fuel the discussion we had lately about how we should approach building a new mini-debian
> I have put online some of the work I did in that direction for my master thesis.
>
> http://users.pandora.be/stag

<snip>

> Things that will have to change for a real mini-debian distro (I already know of):
>
> - installation of the packages in root, not in a directory where images will be made from. Can be
> solved easely by making a symlink to the standard installation dir of my packages and /.

I think it could also be done by using apt and dpkg functionality. Indeed
this might be better for stag itself too (makes the rules files less
different so conversions are easier). there is a dpkg --root option that
looks like it mght do the trick, for example and apt has lots of directory
options too, which I admit I don't understand, but I'm sure this ought to be
possible.

> Strong points :
>
> - cross-compilable source packages aimed at being small.
> - uses the standard Debian tools (though with small adaptions but nothing drastic)
> - trying to be Debian compliant (only lacks copyright file (I thought of putting the license in the
> package description) and docs)
> - already documented :-)

Yep, I like your doc. It is actually pretty-well the 'Embedded Debian
developer's guide' that the site has been saying we will collectively write
for the last 3 years. If there is any interest it could be the basis for a
very useful collection of 'how to do embedded stuff with Debian'.

The main difference between your approach and the plan I documented is that
you are replacing debian/rules for each package whereas we were going to put
in parallel 'emdebian' targets. Yours is simpler, but it's harder to
maintain as we have to keep up with Debian package churn, because we can't
shove the changes back upstream.

> Take a look at it and tell me what you like and dislike.

OK. I just did that (short version as it's home time :-)

I thnk we are developing a very good basis for a plan here. I'll try and
bring the various ideas here into the website as soon as it's up.