an approach for the mini-debian distribution

Hello,

To fuel the discussion we had lately about how we should approach building a new mini-debian
I have put online some of the work I did in that direction for my master thesis.

http://users.pandora.be/stag

However as I aimed it to be used on really small systems (I am more or less on the embedsys
terrain), I use several principles we more or less discussed. I came up with my own naming
scheme, but everything can still be adapted. All remarks are welcome (as I have at least still 3
1/2 months time before I have to submit it, and so I will also work hard on it for at least that
period of time.)

Things that will have to change for a real mini-debian distro (I already know of):

- installation of the packages in root, not in a directory where images will be made from. Can be
solved easely by making a symlink to the standard installation dir of my packages and /.
- another init system
- adding an installation system to start with.

Strong points :

- cross-compilable source packages aimed at being small.
- uses the standard Debian tools (though with small adaptions but nothing drastic)
- trying to be Debian compliant (only lacks copyright file (I thought of putting the license in the
package description) and docs)
- already documented :-)

There is only demo material for the moment, if you have an arm machine like a netwinder you
could install the packages and use the created subdirectory as a chrooted environment to test it.
I am still working on it, however I am in exams now so everything has more or less come to a
standstill for the last 2 weeks.

Take a look at it and tell me what you like and dislike.

greets,

Philippe

Gestuurd via het webmailsysteem van het De Nayer Instituut: www.denayer.be