Re: debian's gnus package older than its emacs builtin gnus?

>  DG> hm, here's another confused emacs user.  I had been "careful" to not
>  DG> "apt-get install gnus", lest it spoil my current emacs21.
>
> 	You should perhaps give Debian more credit.

Oh, I didn't mean to take any credit away from debian at all, sorry if
i gave that impression.  I am full of praise for debian, the best
distro ever, and as a user, only seek to help improve it further and
make it more user-friendly.

Yes, debian and the debian emacs developers do a marvellous task of
packaging emacs, gnus and related packages.

>  DG> Perhaps the "apt-cache show gnus" should mention in its first
>  DG> line: "newsreader for emacs20 or older" or some such.
>
> 	But that would be untrue, since I am using the same package,
>  gnus, albeit a different version, for emacs21.
.
.

> 	It would, in Sid.
.
.

> Since Emacsen contain Gnusii, there are
>  periods when the versions of gnus built in leap frog the stand alone
>  version. Users should not have to care when that happens, since the
>  stand alone package should make it so that the version of Gnus is
>  never a downgrade for the user of the standalone package.

Ah, that clears up things for me quite a bit.  Perhaps we can state a
similar line in the description of gnus package:

"Note: IF your (X)emacs version contains a builtin gnus, this package
will not affect that gnus unless this package provides a newer version
of gnus than the built-in one."