debian's gnus package older than its emacs builtin gnus?

that has been posted to gnu.emacs.gnus as well.

Dan> (gnus-version)"Gnus v5.9.0" is seen in gnus, but the debian version
Dan> number is 5.8.8

Manoj> 	emacs 21 comes with gnus 5.9.0; and the stand alone gnus
Manoj>  package version 5.8.8 does not over ride it. I do not see a bug here.

My goodness, you mean if I apt-get remove gnus, my gnus will suddenly
get newer...

What is the justification for a standalone package for gnus if one
need emacs to run gnus, and that emacs has a newer gnus inside?

We gnus users will of course install the gnus debian package when we
see it in say aptitude.  Little did we know that it infact is a gnus
downgrade and we should stay away?

Anyway, am I safe to apt-get remove gnus?  Will it actually freshen my
gnus?
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780