Re: debian's gnus package older than its emacs builtin gnus?

>>"Dan" == Dan Jacobson <jidanni@dman.ddts.net> writes:

 Dan> The following message is a courtesy copy of an article
 Dan> that has been posted to gnu.emacs.gnus as well.

 Dan> (gnus-version)"Gnus v5.9.0" is seen in gnus, but the debian version
 Dan> number is 5.8.8

 Manoj> emacs 21 comes with gnus 5.9.0; and the stand alone gnus
 Manoj> package version 5.8.8 does not over ride it. I do not see a bug here.

 Dan> My goodness, you mean if I apt-get remove gnus, my gnus will suddenly
 Dan> get newer...

	You are confused. In Emacs 21, the version of gnus you get is
 5.9.0, whether or not you have installed the stand alone package.

 Dan> What is the justification for a standalone package for gnus if one
 Dan> need emacs to run gnus, and that emacs has a newer gnus inside?

	There is none for emacs21. There is if you run emacs 20. Or
 run Sid, where the stand alone gnus is using Oort.

 Dan> We gnus users will of course install the gnus debian package when we
 Dan> see it in say aptitude.  Little did we know that it infact is a gnus
 Dan> downgrade and we should stay away?

	Check your facts.

	The stand alone Gnus is more intelligent; itshall not install
 on emacs21.

 Dan> Anyway, am I safe to apt-get remove gnus?  Will it actually freshen my
 Dan> gnus?

	Yes. No.

	manoj
--
 "We don't have to protect the environment -- the Second Coming is at
 hand." James Watt